Vita/Income Taxes

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

We are currently looking for volunteers for the 2023 Filing Season. We are looking to fill these volunteer positions:

  • Schedulers: to schedule tax appointments
  • Greeters: to greet clients when they arrive for their tax appointment
  • Tax Preparers: to prepare tax returns (all tax preparers become IRS Certified)

If interested please fill out the contact form below and our VITA Program Coordinator, Olivia, will be in contact with you about training sessions.


Center For Siouxland provides Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). VITA is an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) program which offers free tax preparation to qualifying taxpayers. All volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS.

You may check the status of your refund by going to www.irs.gov and clicking on “Get Your Refund Status”.

If we previously prepared your tax return and you have questions other than the status of your refund, please contact VITA Program Coordinator, Olivia Benjamin, and she will direct your question to a tax preparer as needed.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are VITA's limitations?

We cannot file your return if ANY of the following are true:

  • You own rental property (ie, you are the landlord)
  • K-1 income unless it is interest, dividends and royalties – these types are approved
  • Small business income if that business has any of the following:
    • employees
    • payments to independent contractors
    • a loss for the year
    • you maintain inventory
    • total expenses over $35,000
    • hobby or “not-for-profit” income
    • business use of home
    • depreciation
  • You have gain from the sale of assets other than stocks and mutual funds (e.g. sale of land, options or virtual currency are out of scope)
  • Non-cash charitable contribution of over $500
  • Farm income (or loss)
  • Self-employed SEP, SIMPLE and qualified plans
  • Cancellation of debt income other than personal credit card debt or qualified principal residence indebtedness
  • Nondeductible IRAs
  • Nonresident aliens who do not meet the green card or substantial presence test and are not married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien
  • Students on an F, J, M, or Q Visa or Teachers or Trainees on a J Visa

The above is a partial list of areas we are not trained in. If you have an unusual item please note the item when you schedule your appointment.

How do I schedule my tax appointment?

Please call (712) 252-1861 ext. 101 and leave your name & phone number. You will get a call back as soon as possible to schedule your appointment. PLEASE ONLY LEAVE ONE MESSAGE.

Do I need to show up early for my tax appointment?

Yes, please show up at least 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork.

What do I need to bring to my tax appointment?

  • Valid Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
  • Social Security cards for all on tax return
  • Copy of last year’s tax return or tax transcript
  • Income, interest, and other tax forms (W-2’s, 1099’s, 1098-T, 1098 Mortgage Interest, etc.)
  • Bank information for direct deposit

I am married and filing a joint tax return. Do I need to bring my spouse to our tax appointment?

YES! If you are married and filing a joint tax return, both spouses must be present.

Can you help me file previous years’ tax returns?

Yes, we can help you file the previous 3 years’ returns; however, you must have ALL tax forms for the previous years. There is no way for us to find this information.

Can I file my own taxes?

I have received a letter from the IRS or the Department of Revenue AND Center For Siouxland helped me file my tax return(s). What should I do?

Give us a call at (712) 252-1861 ext. 108 and we will help navigate the situation.

I have received a letter from the IRS or the Department of Revenue AND Center For Siouxland DID NOT help me file my tax return(s). What should I do?

Unfortunately, if we did not file your tax return there is no way for us to know what exactly is going on. The best place to find information about your tax return and letter received would be to call the IRS or your state’s Department of Revenue.

Where’s my refund? How can I find the status of my refund?

I owe the IRS but can’t pay the full amount due at the time of filing. What are my options?

The IRS offers different types of payment plans. They can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/payments/payment-plans-installment-agreements

I owe my State tax but can’t pay the full amount by the due date. What are my options?