Volunteer Income Tax Assistance

Want to prepare your own tax return?


Check out your options below!

  • OnLine Taxes
    1. Eligibility Requirements:
      1. Any age
      2. Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) under $79,000, OR
      3. Eligible for EITC, OR
      4. Active Duty Military and under $79,000 AGI
      5. Free state return if you qualify for a free federal return
    2. Log-in Link:
      1. https://www.olt.com/main/vita/getstarted.php?affiliate=VITAFREE&linkID=S26063046
      2. If you have previously filed your taxes using OnLine Taxes and already have an account, you will be able to use that account with the link above to file your taxes.
  • MyFreeTaxes.com
    1. Eligibility Requirements:
      1. Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) under $79,000
      2. Free state return(s) if you qualify for a free federal return.
    2. Log-in Link:
      1. https://myfreetaxes.com/
      2. Click on “File My Own Taxes.” Answer the 3 questions. Click “File Now.” You will be directed to TaxSlayer
      3. If you have previously filed your taxes using TaxSlayer and already have an account, you will be able to use that account with the link above to file your taxes.

Once you have chosen Option 1, 2, or 3 above:

1. Create Your Personal Account for:

    • OnLine Taxes (You will need to enter our SIDN: S26063046.) OR
    • TaxAct OR
    • OR log into your existing account if you have used olt.com OR taxact.com OR TaxSlayer in the past

2. Start new return

    • determine filing status
    • enter basic information, as needed, for taxpayer, spouse, dependents

3. Prepare Federal Return

  • enter income
  • enter adjustments
  • enter deductions
  • enter health insurance information, including 1095-A, if necessary

4. Prepare State Return(s)

  • you may have multiple state returns if you worked in more than 1 state or lived in 1 state and worked in another, etc.

5. Finish Return – to finish your return you will have to: 

  • select direct deposit/debit (if you owe) or paper check/mail payment for both federal and state returns
  • enter bank information for direct deposit/debit
  • enter your prior year’s AGI (found on last year’s tax return). Enter 0 if this is your first year filing or if you did not file last year.
  • enter your State ID information

6. Print or Save a copy of your tax return to your computer

7. Transmit to the IRS

8. Log-out of your OnLine Taxes, TaxAct, TaxSlayer 

If we previously prepared your tax return and you have questions other than the status of your refund, please contact our VITA Program Coordinator and your question will be directed to a tax preparer as needed.

You may check the status of your refund by going to www.irs.gov and clicking on “Get Your Refund Status”.

Center For Siouxland partners with the United Way of Siouxland to provide Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA). VITA is an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) program which offers free tax preparation to qualifying taxpayers. All volunteers are trained and certified by the IRS.

We currently have enough volunteers for the 2023 filing season. However, we will need volunteers for the 2024 Filing Season. Volunteering will begin January 2025 – April 2025. We are looking to fill these volunteer positions:


  • Schedulers: to schedule tax appointments
  • Greeters: to greet clients when they arrive for their tax appointment
  • Tax Preparers: to prepare tax returns (all tax preparers become IRS Certified)

If interested, please email Britney at britney.sargent@centerforsiouxland.org and she will be in contact with you about training sessions.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are VITA's limitations?

We cannot file your return if ANY of the following are true:

  • You own rental property (ie, you are the landlord)
  • K-1 income unless it is interest, dividends and royalties – these types are approved
  • Small business income if that business has any of the following:
    • employees
    • payments to independent contractors
    • a loss for the year
    • you maintain inventory
    • total expenses over $35,000
    • hobby or “not-for-profit” income
    • business use of home
    • depreciation
  • You have gain from the sale of assets other than stocks and mutual funds (e.g. sale of land, options or virtual currency are out of scope)
  • Non-cash charitable contribution of over $500
  • Farm income (or loss)
  • Self-employed SEP, SIMPLE and qualified plans
  • Cancellation of debt income other than personal credit card debt or qualified principal residence indebtedness
  • Nondeductible IRAs
  • Nonresident aliens who do not meet the green card or substantial presence test and are not married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien
  • Students on an F, J, M, or Q Visa or Teachers or Trainees on a J Visa

The above is a partial list of areas we are not trained in. If you have an unusual item please note the item when you schedule your appointment.

How do I schedule my tax appointment?

Please call (712) 252-1861 ext. 101 and leave your name & phone number. You will get a call back as soon as possible to schedule your appointment. PLEASE ONLY LEAVE ONE MESSAGE.

Do I need to show up early for my tax appointment?

Yes, please show up at least 15 minutes early to fill out paperwork.

What do I need to bring to my tax appointment?

  • Valid Photo ID for taxpayer and spouse
  • Social Security cards for all on tax return
  • Copy of last year’s tax return or tax transcript
  • Income, interest, and other tax forms (W-2’s, 1099’s, 1098-T, 1098 Mortgage Interest, etc.)
  • Bank information for direct deposit

I am married and filing a joint tax return. Do I need to bring my spouse to our tax appointment?

YES! If you are married and filing a joint tax return, both spouses must be present.

Can you help me file previous years’ tax returns?

Yes, we can help you file the previous 3 years’ returns; however, you must have ALL tax forms for the previous years. There is no way for us to find this information.

I have received a letter from the IRS or the Department of Revenue AND Center For Siouxland helped me file my tax return(s). What should I do?

Give us a call at (712) 252-1861 ext. 108 and we will help navigate the situation.

I have received a letter from the IRS or the Department of Revenue AND Center For Siouxland DID NOT help me file my tax return(s). What should I do?

Unfortunately, if we did not file your tax return there is no way for us to know what exactly is going on. The best place to find information about your tax return and letter received would be to call the IRS or your state’s Department of Revenue.

Where’s my refund? How can I find the status of my refund?

I owe the IRS but can’t pay the full amount due at the time of filing. What are my options?

The IRS offers different types of payment plans. They can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/payments/payment-plans-installment-agreements

I owe my State tax but can’t pay the full amount by the due date. What are my options?